Shhhhhh, don’t tell anyone. There’s a super secret ingredient I use in all of my holiday entertaining:
Frozen puff pastry.
I know, I know. You were expecting something really exciting and grand sounding. But seriously, this is the solution to all your appetizer woes. Sure you could throw out a crudité platter or a bowl of chips, but with a teensy bit of effort (and a lot of puff pastry), you can do so much more!
For starters, try this quick, easy, and festive appetizer for all your holiday parties. Then, check out the links below for some additional ideas that are perfect all year long!
Brie & Cranberry Puff Pastry Bites
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (I usually use the Pepperidge Farm brand, which you can easily find at most grocery stores. Or if you have a Trader Joes nearby, grab a tube there—it’s really great, too.)
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Take the puff pastry from your freezer and let it come to room temperature on your countertop. This will take at least an hour.
Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
Cut the Brie into 24 small squares.
Then, cut the puff pastry into 24 small squares—so lengthwise into four strips, and widthwise into six strips. (Rectangles are A-OK too, if you don’t measure properly, like me!)
Place a square of puff pastry into each mini muffin tin.
Top each square with half a teaspoon of cranberry sauce and one cube of cheese. Refrigerate for 20 minutes—the cooler the puff pastry when you put it in the oven, the more it will puff up when baked.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the puff pastry is golden brown. Let cool slightly before you remove from the pan, then serve immediately on a pretty plate, preferably with a festive holiday cocktail.
Once you’ve perfected this recipe, try another one of my favorite puff pastry appetizers:
- Pistachio and Chive Goat Cheese on Puff Pastry Wafers (the Kitchn)
- Fig Tart with Caramelized Red Onion (Spoon Fork Bacon)
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Gruyere Tartlets (Brown Eyed Baker)
- Sausage Rolls (Delia Smith)
- Tomato, Scallion, and Goat Cheese Tart (What’s Gaby Cooking)