Sure, Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for what we already have. But, if you’re being underpaid or were offered a lower starting salary than you anticipated, it’s okay to be thinking about how you might be able to get some more.
To help you out, we’ve gathered the best articles from around the web on why negotiation is so important, what might be stopping women from doing it enough, and how to make a plan of action and get compensated what you deserve today (or, well, after Turkey Day).
- Read about what might be keeping women from negotiating as much as they should be. (Wise Bread)
- Learn why failing to negotiate even one salary could cost you big time. (Hint: we’re talking $500,000 here.) (Fast Company)
- Even in the midst of a recession, you should make sure you’re not getting cheated out of a raise (especially at the expense of your male counterparts). (The Grindstone)
- Now it’s time to start negotiating. Seem a little scary? Try starting with these little ways to ask for more. (The Glass Hammer)
- Make sure you don’t make any of these major mistakes when trying to negotiate. (Doostang)
- Remember you can negotiate more than just your salary. (Aol Jobs)
- Still don’t feel confident enough to negotiate? Try reading this savvy toolkit for getting a raise. (New York TImes)
- Negotiation can be hard. Just make sure you don’t lose hope—you can get paid what you deserve! (She Negotiates)
Want more? Check out some of our awesome articles on negotiating!
Want a raise? Don’t be intimidated—be prepared. This sample script will show you how to approach your current boss and ask for a promotion or raise, from start to finish.
This professional was guaranteed a raise, but her boss reneged due to budget cuts. Our negotiation expert tells her (and us) how to stand up to your boss when you don’t get what you’re owed.
Marissa Mayer just signed on as CEO of Yahoo! with a larger-than-life compensation package. What can the rest of us learn from her about negotiating our own compensation? Read on to find out.