When you see someone give a great presentation, it seems so natural—so easy. But anyone who’s spoken in public before knows that it takes a lot of preparation, and that the line between a good presentation and a dull one is very, very fine.
To help make sure yours ends up in the “great” camp, we’ve gathered some of the best resources on the web. Here’s how to create interesting slides, prepare for your presentation, and show up on game day ready to knock their socks off.
- Tired of using PowerPoint? Try one of these web-based alternatives instead. (Work Awesome)
- It’s important to present the information in a way that’s easy to understand. Make sure all of your slides pass “the glance test.” (Harvard Business Review)
- Most importantly, make sure you’re not making one of these presentation-killing mistakes on your slides. (Life’d)
- Having trouble making your slides look sleek? Try this free iPad app that claims to make it impossible to create ugly slides. (Fast Co.DESIGN)
- Once your slides are nearly done, prepare for the rest of the presentation with this great guide on improving your presentation skills. (Inc.)
- Whether you’re a nervous public speaker or perfectly calm in the spotlight, these tips will help you be the best presenter in the bunch. (The Glass Hammer)
- After the presentation comes the questions. Use these ideas to tackle even the trickiest ones. (Lifehacker)
- Finally, no matter what happens, just be glad you weren’t one of these unfortunate presenters. (The Grindstone)
Want more? Check out some of our articles on nailing presentations:
In this short (and well-presented) video, behavioral psychologist Susan Weinschenk explains five key ideas that will help make your next presentation perfectly people-friendly.
Getting invited to speak publicly should be an exciting opportunity, but for many of us, it just becomes a nerve-wracking necessity. Use these tips to conquer your fear and look like a pro in front of your audience.
Crafting a PowerPoint that will get your point across without making everyone’s eyes glaze over becomes a lot easier if you have a few great templates on hand. Check out these 10 basics, then download them to use in your next presentation.